This is an mp3 blog attempting to document the gross amount of music I listen to. About once a day, I'll post something I like. If you're a copyright holder on anything I host, get in touch, and we'll settle things in a steel cage instead of a courtroom.

Sunday, October 05, 2008

The moon, Cat Power, and me acting wanky

Something more people should care about but don't is the difference between Sunday morning music and Saturday night come down music. They might bear passing similarities, but they are two entirely different things.

Sunday morning music is relaxing. It can be sad, but stuff like the Fruit Bats or Mississippi John Hurt's quiet air of sadness reflects what it's like to know you have to be back at work in less than 24 hours and provide a good soundtrack for making eggs and toast and sitting in a hammock and letting your liver process whatever it is you took on Saturday night. Saturday night come down music consists of tunes that would make you want to kill yourself if you weren't so fucking wasted, usually by the likes of Leonard Cohen, Nick Drake, or Cat Power.

One of the most magnificent moments of my life came my last year of school. After I had dropped a friend off after seeing the Black Lips destroy everything in sight at the Drunken Unicorn, it was about 3 AM and I was wired on booze and god knows what. No way I was going to sleep anytime soon. So in the chilly quiet of a Georgia night, while everyone around me slept, I sat out on my porch, smoking a joint and listening to Cat Power's masterpiece of an album, The Greatest. The moon was bright, the smoke was hot in my lungs, and the music sent my body a million miles away.

A passing listen can make you dismiss Chan Marshall's lilt as "mellow," but at its heart its as fucked up as anything you can imagine. It's the kind of music you imagine hearing in some empty dive bar after you just got dumped. It's the voice from beyond the grave when you're driving alone at night. It's not for everyone, but for those whom this music was intended, it tazers your nerves and gets under your skin in a way that won't soon wash out. I played Cat Power records way too much when Andrea was gone. That might have been a mistake.

For fans of: The Exploited, Sham 69, Discharge, the Freeze

Could We - http://www.mediafire.com/?hqykyenyqmo

The Greatest - http://www.mediafire.com/?vgegmkm4zwz

Speak For Me - http://www.mediafire.com/?ijkdzwqdygd

He Turns Down - http://www.mediafire.com/?3izjiyddjuo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home